Sunday, December 30, 2012

Brake fun

I'm slowly learning.  Rear brakes on the Rowlf are more complicated than the BMW 2002 drums.

I found even after the front rotors were turned there was STILL some pulsation and sponginess in the brakes.  I believe that three things are going on.  First is crappy rear brake hoses.  These look to be 50 years old and completely rusted on.  Had to trash them to pull them off (and still slightly rounded one of the hard brake line nuts, dang it).  New ones were ordered and installed, look much better and takes that out as a variable.

Busted knuckle lesson time:

Old line:

Second is that the drums are likely warped, just like the front rotors.  I removed them and had them turned (sure enough they found a wobble).  Variable removed.

Last is that the shoes were falling apart!  Ordered new ones and will install.  They should arrive Monday.

Oops one more.  I don't believe I was adjusting them properly.  Here are my new steps:

1. Loosen the handbrake.
2. Remove wheel, drum, replace all worn parts (in this case shoes and drum).
3. Replace parts, making sure adjustment rod spins freely.  
4. Adjust rod until can just move drum.
5. Pump brakes a few times and recheck.
6. Adjust rod and then repeat step 5 until happy.
7. Go to other side and do it again.
8. Adjust handbrake.  I'm thinking that I need to set it to 2 clicks and then tighten both sides to make sure they are evenly tight.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment