Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Won't start

Of course in the middle of the break debacle, I try to start the &^%$! van and it would not.  Start that is!

I had messed around with so many wires I had no idea where to start looking.  This was mildly deflating to say the least.

WHAT NEXT???!!!

So, after I licked my wounds, I dove in.  Checked spark, fuel and found that the fuel pump was supposed to turn on briefly when turning the key to prime the system.  It was not.  So I decided to track wires.  Of course, I found crappy broken wires that would not do in the long run at all.  I ran new power and ground to the fuel pump and back to the ECM.  In the course of this I found a broken wire in the harness that I am sure I caused, but realized that I MUCH rather have it happen in the driveway than out on the road somewhere.

I also investigated more of the wiring and found a corroded combined lead in the engine compartment that looked like hell and was asking to fail.  I cleaned, replaced, soldered and heat shrink wrapped (my normal routine for ALL the wires I find).

Did that fix it?  Nope.

So I started investigating the fuel pump relay (tested ok) and finally jumped it directly.  Van started right up!  So I knew I was on the right track.

Messing around with the three wire bundles to the ECM I noticed that the connections looked crappy at best.  Then I found that when I moved one of the bunches, it would start the fuel pump.  Holy crap what I time bomb!

So I unwrapped it ALL and cleaned, soldered and heat shrink wrapped.  Suprisingly, it still did it.  I then traced it back to a slighly loose B134 plug.  I need to hit a junkyard to find a replacement, but found that if I shimmed it, it was very steady.  So that is what I did.


insert a lot of time here -->



Pain in the butt, but I feel better that it's more consistent now and looks much nicer.  Next step is to buy 2 inch wire loom and wrap the whole thing so that it's more weatherproof.

No comments:

Post a Comment